DEADLINE TO SUBMIT DECEMBER 11TH, 2023
CALL FOR NEW DESIGNERS
Tracey Power & Steve Charles
Directed by Erin McGrath
Venue: Gas Station Arts Centre
Performance Dates: November 12-17, 2024
As a part of our season initiative to support the development of new Winnipeg artists, we are seeking 2 NEW designers to cover SET, COSTUMES, & LIGHTING
One designer will be taking on 2 departments, please see submission requirements.
This is a contemporary musical set in Shakespearian England.
It’s the 1600’s and women are banned from the stage. Behind the dingy walls of The Cage Tavern, 7 women explore the seductive power of the theatre. With a music influenced by underground European Cabaret, the women embrace their creativity, their voices and their freedom.
Copies of the script are available upon request to read – email@example.com
Submissions are open to under recognized genders
including Cis Women, Trans, and Nonbinary Artists.
This will be an extended process to support the development and networking of new Winnipeg Designers. Our designers will be provided with mentorship and resources through the U of W Design Department as well as personal networking sessions with our city’s local theatres and production managers. Professional photographs will be taken of our production and made available to our designers to add to or begin creating an online portfolio. We will also invite local arts leaders on your behalf to attend the production and get to know your work!
February 2, 2024 – Design Meeting with Director and Creative Team
April 15, 2024 – Preliminary Designs Due
June 10, 2024 – Final Designs Due
October 1, 2024 – Construction Begins
October 21, 2024– Rehearsals Begin
November 4, Load Begins
November 11, Preview
November 12, Opening
November 17, Close/Strike
Designers should be available for preliminary meetings, be able to meet design deadlines and be accessible during rehearsals, tech and Strike.
Additional meetings will be scheduled in consultation with the creative team and designers to facilitate venue tours, mentorship, networking, and technical support.
- Submissions are open to under recognized genders including Cis Women, Trans, and Nonbinary Artists.
- Designers must have completed a training program within four years before the start of contract in February 2024. (Include in your package graduation date and institution.) OR Artists with informal training/experience with an understanding of the theatre design process.
- Please submit a letter detailing why you would benefit from this opportunity and what your goals as a designer in Winnipeg are. Include your contact information.
- Please note WHAT area of design you are submitting for, COSTUME, SET, LIGHTING.
- Please note if you would consider carrying 2 positions and which two.
- Include a CV listing ALL of your theatre experience NOT JUST DESIGN WORK. If you were a Stage Manager in high school, sewed costumes for a fringe show, managed the box office for a community theatre, we want to hear about it!
- Please include a minimum of 1 reference who can speak to your work.
- Submit your package to Erin McGrath firstname.lastname@example.org by December 11, 2023
*These are paid positions. Fees will be presented to the applicants in their interviews*